Monday 11 April 2016

Branding Inspiration

Handmade 

I am really struggling with my branding and I think it is because I am doing the majority of it digitally when in fact most of my work, and the elements which I enjoy the most about my work is creating it with analogue techniques.
Because of this I think I will create some more potential designs tonight and maybe actually write 'A Wasp in a Wig out in ink or paint. These designs will NEED to be drawn in pencil before and colour scheme carefully considered!

These anthropologie pieces are the type of illustrations and colour schemes that I want my branding to fit in with:
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-dinner-side/A23730187.jsp#/
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-dinner-side/F37860541.jsp#/
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-dinner-side/C37893096.jsp#/

I could even incorporate a typical Henley scene into my headers etc if I wanted to use my personal influences etc. Or like illustrations of cups of tea etc but I feel like this has been over done… we will see!

I was looking over some of my India brief work and I actually love the colour combinations on this orange piece:

http://awaspinawig.tumblr.com/post/140961418585/130316-eggs-and-palm-trees-kovolam

Perhaps I could have a go at using orange as a base for my branding. This also is very similar to yellow so fits into the natural colour scheme of wasps - some wasps are actually much more orange in colour as well. I could then have my type as white on the orange background, which is the ideal colour I wanted for my type as I prefer white because it gives a more clean cut and fresh aesthetic.

Because I want to maintain the same 'portrait' illustration, I think it would be a good idea to stick with this pale pink/beige colour scheme in the rest of my branding - BUT not just those colours because I want it to be colourful with vibrant colours so maybe bringing in some oranges and reds or even blues and turquoises in different parts. The places I think that would be really fun to work for the design team for, such as Anthropologie and Liberties, really emphasise an importance on patterns, floral and wild life designs. This is good for me because I love patterns and my theme of wasps, which will need to be present in my designs, are obviously interwoven with floral and wildlife themes.

Even if I choose not to incorporate my 'portrait' into my original header and business card designs, this does not mean it can't be present. I can put it in a circular frame or something similar in the header on a separate layer. When designing my header I need to think about this for layout. I also think if I decide to draw or paint the 'A Wasp in a Wig' title, it should be in a wide patch of negative space so that if it doesn't work out it will be easily removable on Photoshop and replaced with a digital font without affecting the rest of the design. I think it would look best if the rest of the font and writing was all kept digital as it gives a nice neat and professional look to the branding.

I need to create work which is at an A4 or A3 size because I want to keep its visual quality and scan it in. Then if I shrink it it should look nice and neat and not pixelated. But I don't want to create it too much bigger than its scale in reality because this may make details less obvious once I shrink it down to size.

Somewhere I have been recording my inspiration for this module is my Pinterest board, which you can find by following the link below:

Follow Alice's board PPP Inspo on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment