Tuesday 25 August 2015

August Art for Arthritis Project: Princess Leia

For this brief the client wanted a portrait of herself as Princess Leia. She also wanted a few different aspects of star wars incorporated into the scene such as the ewoks, robots (D2r2?!) and it to be based in Endor. With some carefully selected reference images I went about sketching out the layout for the illustration in order to fit in all of these elements. I decided to go for a simple layout with the clients portrait as the foreground, painted with weapon in hand, and a serious but cheeky face. I wanted her to look at the portrait and feel both empowered and be entertained by the comedy element! So I put the ewoks looking ready for battle behind her in the mid-ground and then used the different layers of woods and houses of Endor behind to create the background. I put the robots on one of the houses in the woods... I am not sure if this would be realistic in Starwars or not but it was the perfect position for them haha.

http://awaspinawig.tumblr.com/post/126769895540/progress-shot-of-meg-as-princess-leia-in-pencil

I wanted to create depth but I wasnt too bothered about keeping the background especially neat and tidy so I used simple pen lines for these and did the background woodlands quickly unlike the specific characters that required more attention and detail. I used a technique which I have used loads before of combining water colour and pen lines, this always means I can both capture the abstract shapes and atmosphere/movement/light of the image with colours whilst then adding depth, movement and detail with a fine/thick pen.
http://awaspinawig.tumblr.com/post/127339198750/here-is-one-of-my-illustrations-for-my-august-art

No comments:

Post a Comment