Tuesday 25 August 2015

August Art for Arthritis Project: Sophie's SATC/VS

For this brief the client wanted an illustration of her group of best friends in a fashion illustration style, using water colours and black pen. She wanted it to be like a Sex and the City vibe however was not totally set on this idea as she wanted more than just four people in the image. So I had a think and thought perhaps she would be interested in having a theme like the recent Victoria Secrets catwalk show which starred Taylor Swift singing live for the sound track. I thought I could do the client as Taylor Swift surrounded by her VS models. The client really wanted an over the top glamorous feel with really long legs and loved this idea so I used this as a big influence however I did adapt some of the costumes a bit to make the underwear into more dress-like garments although they were still pretty crazy!

I really enjoyed doing this brief as it was really fun to create these alter-egos for the girls. I used reference images of their faces that I thought fit best into the poses as I had previously arranged the poses before hand on the A3 paper as there were six people to fit on! I drew a simple sketch to layout the different components and proportions first. Once this was done I then used water colour to paint on the colour, and added movement to the garments with brush strokes. 

http://awaspinawig.tumblr.com/post/127126029970/painting-on-white-carpet-eek-progress-shot-from


I then added more details and line work with a black fine liner. I also used a silver pen to add a sparkle to the jewelry and to some detailing in the borders and backgrounds of the image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment