Monday 26 May 2014

OUIL404 Visual Language - End of Module Self Evaluation


Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL404 Visual Language
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME
Alice Dear


I have developed both my practical skills and methodologies within this module which I am effectively employing within my own practice. I have really developed my decision making skills in selecting what information to take from reference images. Although I still like to start by drawing them out how the information appears in the photograph in order to get to grips with the image, I then start to look at it in terms of the key essential elements which I need to use for some areas of my illustration; but not all. I also have developed my practical skills in terms of mark making and thinking about the variation of line thickness, gesture and pressure. I use mark making and line a lot in my work and thinking about how to create pattern to best reflect the message in my work has meant that the illustrations look more finished and balanced. I also think spending time to look at shape and collage has really helped me to step out of my comfort zone more and recognise how shape itself can be an effective method in creating an image. Shape can be simple yet effective but it can also be extremely complicated and can contain interest within it; such as when I worked with water colours, or paint, the colours and brush strokes within the shape help to suggest movement or feeling; without the overall outcome being too over complicated.

There have been many principles/theories of image making that I have found valuable during this module which I have been employing within my own practice. The Japanese concept Notan has been valuable during this module as I find colour a really powerful element in artwork and I think it conveys most of the atmosphere of the piece. The concept notan is about how light and dark within an image can create harmony, dynamicism or beauty; notan formalises similar principles of value in the composition of artwork.

I can recognise some strength’s within my Visual Language work which I will definitely capitalise on in future. I think working with shape as a base layer, particularly in paint or water colour, and then working on top with line and mark making has been a method which has produced some of my favourite work and definitely one of my strengths. I think the fact that you can create so much vibrancy and atmosphere with the colour in the paint beneath yet still show a clear image in pen on top which is recognisable to its reference or purpose means that I don’t have to compromise in wanting to be free and expressive but also wanting to be a perfectionist with my figurative drawing. I wish to capitalise on this by producing more work like this but perhaps experimenting with media, but also to see it on a larger scale and explore more expressive shapes and colours.

I have also identified some areas for development within my Visual Language submission which I will address in future. I can improve my process by developing my work by drawing the same image over and over again and pushing my illustrations further by tackling them again and again. I definitely avoid this usually as I like working on a fresh new piece and trying to get that perfect. However I will definitely address this in future because I have seen within my own work how important creating multiple illustrations for the same image is as it allows me to explore techniques and add my own tone of voice to the piece.   

This module has informed how I deconstruct and analyse artwork; both my own and that of contemporary practitioners. It has encouraged me to look into the way mark making, line quality and shape can completely change the artwork and how important it is to choose the appropriate method or process relevant to the message the piece is trying to convey. This module has also informed how I deconstruct work with relation to line of sight and the careful composition of the elements in the image, sometimes it is easy to forget how important frame, perspective and composition are when you’re creating the image but this module bought my attention to these roles separately and how big an impact they can achieve in the piece. It has made me think about a lot of separate elements and how they relate together to convey a particular message.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality



x

Motivation



x

Commitment




x
Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment