Wednesday 8 January 2014

TED Talks

I watched this YouTube video, one from the TED Talks channel, and I thought it was extremely appropriate for thinking about illustration as a practice and as a career. Dan Pink talks about three fundamental points being the key to motivation, these are; autonomy, mastery and purpose.
Autonomy is the urge to direct our own lives.
Mastery is the desire to continue getting better at something that matters.
Purpose is the yearning to do what we do in the service of something larger than ourselves.
In terms of illustration I feel that these are key in being productive but also keeping the passion and love of the subject alive. Autonomy: as long as I direct my time wisely and towards productivity I will be able to make art for the love of it and not through pressure or force. Mastery: illustration as an industry is full of inspiration; artists and work continue to amaze with skill and creativity and give me something to aim for and to motivate me to improve my own skills. Purpose: the briefs, employers and commissions all provide a purpose; illustration is a collaboration with a message that must be conveyed, so it is always part of something bigger than just one persons picture.
These are all important to me in improving my personal and professional practice as an illustrator.


No comments:

Post a Comment